ABC OF ACTIVITIES
(with acknowledgment to www.climatefringe.org for many of the suggestions)
Here are some ideas
There are so many ways to demonstrate our love for the planet and what needs to be done to sustain and conserve it. Here are some ways to share and celebrate what you are doing on the Participate Form. We’re sure you can add to this incomplete alphabet. You don’t need to be an expert or perfect, but having a passion for the activity would be helpful!
- Are you walking and cycling more? Hold an event to celebrate this.
- Artivism is a kind of ‘soft’ campaigning. Do you use art to demonstrate a point? Could you make a telling work of art that carried a message about the climate and display it somewhere noticeable?
- Make something creative out of your findings. Hold a small display.
- Have you built your own eco house? Share your experience with others in some way.
- Do you carve or turn wood? Celebrate the wonders of wood, by yourself or with others, with a small exhibition of your work.
- Do you recycle as much as you can? Do you repair and repurpose clothes, household items etc.? How do you cut down on waste? Share tips, hints and skills with others.
- Simple information on setting one up. https://climatecafes.org/
- Some hints on a successful ceilidh https://hessleceilidhband.com/2014/06/10/organising-a-successful-ceilidh-or-barn-dance/
- Do you belong to a group who could put on an exhibition, display or show in your village hall?
- Does your community have an “unloved” growing area you can develop and showcase?
- Do you have older residents who can share their stories?
- Have you thought of adding value to the bus stops in the area by having small exhibitions or information about what you are doing?
- Do you paint or pursue a craft which engages with the challenges of climate change we face? Can you use it for Craftivism – a soft entry into protest. Lots of ideas on: https://stitchesforsurvival.earth/aims/why-craftivism/
- Do you use local material to spin, weave and/or make things out of recycled stuff? Could you hold an exhibition or organise a workshop?
- Are you interested in the secrets of the ocean? Do you go diving to explore? Share your experience with others. Show them some of the amazing things you have found.
- Do you have energy-saving practices ? Share tips and skills with others
- Have you built an eco house? Would you be willing to showcase it?
- Do you help with beach cleans or other ways of caring for the environment? What ways do you show your love for the place you stay in? Join with others to publicise this.
FAITH AND CLIMATE
- Interfaith Scotland have put together this resource pack https://interfaithscotland.org/climate-action-resources
- Could your local church have a flower festival?
FILMS/ FILM MAKING
- Check out this toolkit for smart phone filming https://www.aitken.online/aitkenmedia
- Do you have a place where you could show an inspiring climate film and follow it with a discussion?
- Do you grow your own vegetables? Share your experience with others. Hold a friendly competition.
- Do you plant trees? Let others know. Share advice. Celebrate the wonders of trees.
- Would you be willing to open your garden to inspire others?
- Do you have knowledge of the local rock and landscape which provides soil and shelter for sustainable growing? Could you give a talk or a workshop to inform others?
HEALTH & FITNESS
- Do you belong to an exercise group eg Yoga or Tai Chi and would your group be willing to give a demonstration during August
- Celebrate the history of where you live. Show others some of the traditional crafts and objects used in the past. Share photos of your grandparents and ancestors.
- Do you grow food for the local market? Hold a special promotion during August.
- Have you come to the area from another country? Do you have experiences and stories from your culture which could contribute to understanding how humans have survived over history.
- Do you have background information about those who suffer the biggest burden of the impact of climate change mainly in the global south? Could you share their response to their situation?
- Do you knit? Celebrate how nature inspires you – knit a bird/s, a flower/s or an animal/s. https://shopping.rspb.org.uk/arts-crafts/knitted-birds.html
- Make a point with your creation – eg. some people knitted bees and gave them to politicians to point out that the bees were being endangered.
- Are you a traditional musician? Could you demonstrate and share information about your instrument?
- Could you join with others to hold a ceilidh?
- A place to find designs, crafts and modelling activities https://learning.open-city.org.uk/model-making-tips/
- Do you have any interesting objects which tell a story about your heritage or the landscape around you? Show them to others and talk about their background.
OPEN MIC PERFORMANCES
- How to set up an online poetry session https://localtrust.org.uk/big-local/adaptables/poetry-open-mic-night/
- How to host an Open Mic Night https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/advice/how-to-host-an-open-mic-night/
- Do you enjoy quizzes? Why not hold one about the Climate – facts and figures. You may be surprised by the answers.
- Do you belong to a book club? Why not read a book like Alastair McIntosh’s ‘Hell and Highwater’ or ‘Riders on the Storm’ during August and share your comments with others.
- Have you recycled, repaired, refurbished, reproofed, repurposed, renewed any old items to look like new? Would you be willing to show others what you have done or even join with others to run a workshop on how you’ve done it?
- Do you do cross stitch or embroidery or collage? Make something inspired by the nature around you.
STAND UP FOR NATURE
Some great family friendly suggestions https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/games-and-activities/activities/
- Can you tell stories about the history of your area, local traditional practices, or interesting characters? Invite others to listen. Hold a small ceilidh with friends.
- Record (on your phone) your concerns about climate change and thoughts on solutions. Nothing too long eg 30 seconds is fine. These could be included in our online platform.
- Could you organise guided walks in the beautiful landscape around you?